Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

What happends to diesel engine if you put petrol in it?

Hello, what happends to diesel engine if you put petrol in it? Accidentaly i've got 3 L of petrol to my car at the station and have 15 L of diesel in tank already - would the car start if I put more diesel? Would it be much harm to it? Or should I not start it from now and get to mechanic on tow truck as fast as possible? Thank you

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

do NOT start it up

the engine will not run good and stall and could cause engine damage

you MUST have a shop drain the fuel tank then add diesel back to the tank

you do not want to get gas into the fuel lines and engines fuel injectors

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
if the car has been started already - do I need to replace fuel filter as well ?

yes if it was started change the fuel filter then drain the tank then add new diesel fuel to the tank

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you

anytime