Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Epc light Intermittent, code read @ AutoZone returns p0122,

won't rev over 3900ish, JA: Just...
Epc light Intermittent, code read @ AutoZone returns p0122, won't rev over 3900ish,
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: EPC and Check engine
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2012 Jetta 2.5 s wagon
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to if I can. So far have done nothing, need to know where to start.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Maybe relevant that problem began at 9000 ft of altitude, car lives at 5300 ft. But car has been to 12000 ft numerous times recently.
7/16/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, you will need to replace the throttle pedal position sensor to take care of this issue.

P0122 VOLKSWAGEN - Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'A' Circuit Low Possible causes Faulty throttle pedal position sensor Throttle pedal position sensor harness is open or shorted Throttle pedal position sensor circuit poor electrical connection An excessively low voltage from the Throttle Pedal Position (TPP) Sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM). Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) P0122 VOLKSWAGEN Description The Throttle Pedal Position (TPP) responds to the accelerator pedal movement. This sensor is a kind of potentiometer which transforms the throttle position into output voltage, and emits the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). In addition, the sensor detects the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feeds the voltage signal to the ECM. Idle position of the throttle valve is determined by the ECM receiving the signal from the throttle position sensor. This sensor controls engine operation such as fuel cut. On the other hand, the Wide open and closed throttle position switch, which is built into the throttle position sensor unit, is not used for engine control.

Ok. Got that much from Google. What I need is location of tps in car.

ok, so when you already have information like that, then why dont you state that I only need the the location of the throttle pedal position sensor.

saves me time.

A bot asked me questions, I answered them. It didn't ask me what I wanted to know, it asked me what was going on with my vw.
Thank you.

I understand that but being a bit more specific always helps us so we dont go over the same information that you already have.

Any chance I can get page .227?

standby

standby, i dont think that worked.

to be honest, although I had read that info already, I kinda wanted to see if a vw expert had a different take on things. I am a service tech in a different industry, and I have knowledge that Google doesn't about some problems. Sometimes a customer calls me sure that they need a $300 part and I fix it with a 30¢ connector and an hour of labor. That's what I was thinking. (Hoping)

if you want a complete diagnostic for the sensor I have it, but then again you probably already have that too.. If you are any good with electrical then Im sure you wont have any problem doing the diagnostic. there are no 30 cent fixed for this.

here is a diagnostic

6635db6c-4aeb-4752-8cec-...PNG6635db6...PNGbece49d1-9030-4eaf-a5d4-...PNGbece49d...PNG0e12ef6e-d641-4155-b792-...PNG0e12ef6...PNG52a02864-b85b-45bf-9830-...PNG52a0286...PNG

anything else I can help you with?

I think I am going to take it in to a mechanic tomorrow, deductible on my warranty is less than the part @ local parts shop. Wiring harness seems good per your diagnostic, and I don't want to pull the pedal in case I break the tabs.
As of right now, the problem seems Intermittent (just took 'er for a spin and it is not f**king up at all ... ). My wife was wanting to go into town today, all <40mph roads, do you think running on it now is a bad idea?

no, she should be ok. just get it taken care of ASAP

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic
My ext service plan declined it, so I ordered the pedal and tool, replaced it myself. The EPC light is still on, though, and I have no power. Is this a matter of the computer not knowing that I fixed it? If so, how do I tell the computer? If not, what should I be looking at next?
David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic