Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1990 SL300 the car is stuck in park and I cannot

Customer Question

I have a 1990 SL300 the car is stuck in park and I cannot move the shifter out of the park position. In the meantime I obtained a complete new shifter assembly, however, experience some difficulty to remove the shifter assembly. Have not seen any instructions covering my 1990 SL. Any suggestion what I shoul do?? Thank you axel witt
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: I have not checked the brecaklight function. Do not recall any code malfunction. Car has been sitting on my driveway for 3 years. Just in the process not chrge the battery . In the meantime I thought to seek some help
JA: What year is your SL?
Customer: 1990 - 40k mileage
JA: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried to remove the gear box housing but stopped when I could not remove the wood frame, I now know that I have to remove the radio and air conditioning module....
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there any step by step instruction covering this issue on a 300SL model MB. I have seen other model on you tube
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Marty replied 13 days ago.

Hi Axel, my name is***** you post your vin number for me?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
from the in surance card WDBFA61EOLF012671. I have all he car info in Florida....
Expert:  Marty replied 13 days ago.

This car does not use an electronic shift lock release. Everything is mechanical. There is a cable to the brake pedal and a cable to the steering lock. When you turn the key on the cable from the steering lock moves one lever on the shifter and when you press the brake pedal the cable from the pedal moves the second lever to release the shifter. You need to inspect the cables at the brake pedal and the steering lock before you take the console apart. Starting the car and pumping the brake pedal firmly might get the shifter unlocked. Your problem could be at the shifter but you should inspect the cables first. I've attached in instructions for the console below.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I found the registration and the # is WDBFA61EOLFO12671 (vin #)
Expert:  Marty replied 13 days ago.

Got it. Did you read my reply to you?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for the offer to call. I plan to get back to you when I find the time to get started. I am just preparing to un dertake rhis task. I assume we can resurrect this call support. Thank you in the meantime, axel witt
Expert:  Marty replied 13 days ago.

You're quite welcome. Just let me know if you need anything.

Marty