Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

It won't start. I get one click out of it. All lights and

alarm bells seem to be...
It won't start. I get one click out of it. All lights and alarm bells seem to be working fine. I put the charger on it but still nothing.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: No noise. It dragged when started a week ago. But I haven't driven it since then. Now it won't turn over at all
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2010 250 isc
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: put the charger on it. I'm not a mechanic. Don't want to mess up my baby
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've never had any issues out of the car. I did have a side view mirror replaced recently and the body shop had issues with something they had bumped and had to do some sort of reset for the windows to work right
6/19/2017
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If you get a single solid click from the engine compartment when attempting to crank then there is a good chance you have a bad starter.

The problem could be quite a few tings including the battery, cables and connections, the starter, or possibly an engine issue. It isn't likely, but if the engine is unable to physically turn then you'll just get a single click from the starter.

The starter solenoid wire will need to be tested for power when attempting to crank. If ok then the engine ground and started positive voltage will need to be verified. If ok and the engine is able to turn then the starter can be condemned.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
What I was told by the dealership service dept. this morning is that home chargers, even the large ones like I have, don't have enough cold cranking amps to start the newer vehicles. Called AAA and it started with their high amp battery pack. The dealership stayed that it would be extremely rare for it to be the starter or selinoid. So you miss diagnosed completely

In my first sentence I explained that the problem could be the battery.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician