Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

What would I need to evacuate and recharge my own AC system.

What would I need to evacuate and recharge my own AC system. Would I need a vacuum pump and an air compressor? I am trying to do it as cheap as possible. I have been looking at this vacuum pump.XtremepowerUS 3CFM or 4CFM Air Vacuum Pump HVAC A/C Refrigeration Kit AC Manifold Gauge Set ( 3CFM 1/4HP Air Vacuum Pump) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SZ4QFW0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mtzrzbTQBP7E7

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The link you have provided would work very well. Thsi looks like a very nice setup and the price is reasonable. You do NOT need an air compressor.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I could get the vacuum to evacuate it then would I need a can of Refrigerent like thishttp://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/site/c/detail/INT0/ACP100/N1783.oap?ck=Search_N1783_-1_4692&pt=N1783&ppt=C0050I am trying to understand how recharging it works. Does there need to be air to push the Refrigerent in or does the cars AC system pull the Refrigerent from the can when the clutch engages?

The refrigerant is under pressure. It pushes itself into the system which causes the pressure switch to activate; this causes the compressor to start. The compressor draws the rest of the needs freon in. It is CRITICAL that you do not put too much in. Follow the directions to the letter.

Depending on your vehicle, you may need 2 or 3 cans of refrigerant.

If you have any other questions, please reply. If not, Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I looked at a chilton guide and it said 29 oz for my vehicle a 2005 ford freestyle without rear AC.

The capture will not open. However, 29 ounces seems right.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah sorry the picture didn't open. One last question can I use the manifold gauge set to charge the system as well or do I need different gauges or a tap.

You use the manifold gauges to charge. Charge on the BLUE hose. Read the manual; it will tell you Low Side (blue gauge) pressure. When the pressure on the blue gauge is correct, shut off the valve and stop adding freon.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Great. Thank you for your help.