Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Is there a TSB regarding the transmission for a 2009 Hummer

Customer Question
Hi! is there a TSB...
Hi! is there a TSB regarding the transmission for a 2009 Hummer H3 with the 4L60E Tranny?
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: would traveling approx. 23 miles on the highway when the Transmission lines to the radiator are not connected properly damage the clutches in the transmission?
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Hummer H3. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: no sir
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Car
6/17/2017
Auto Mechanic: camerontech, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic

hi there

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech

there are 2 tsb's for your hummer transmission

i have included them as an attachment for you

driving with cooler lines not properly connected can over time damage your transmission, but your trans would have to be overheating for an extended period of time. just being hooked up wrong flow direction with normal driving for 23 m probably would not harm it.

driving without a cooler is a different story

you should see some transmissiion trouble codes stored as well.

if you need any more asstance, id be happy to help!

if not, please take a moment to rate me!

thanks and i appreciate positive ratings!

cam

The fluid pumped out as they did not have the lines hooked up to the radiator. The tranny has only 70k miles and never had any issues. I have the same Tranny in my Silverado with 300k miles and no issues.

did it run dry tothe point it slipped?

They had to tow it back to the dealer.

yikes,
any time a trans runs empty, it damages the pump especially.

the bands and clutches are more heat damage related as these will not function without pressure. and if theres no fluid , than no pressure.

i have had cars come in with blown cooler lines , replaced and filled up and the car had no symptoms after. but.. i gaurantee it lowered the life expactancy of the transmission

heat is the number one killer of transmissions

the only way to properly tell if you damaged your transmission from this is a full dissassembly unfortunatley

What in your opinion would make the replacement necessary? There was no service light. It was just a routine service at 60K miles (7 years old). Never been off road. I have 300K on my Silverado with no issues!

i would check for codes and adresses any of those .

if you didnt drive too long and keep revving it when it ran out and you have no slipping, than you should be ok.

there would have been some damage for sure, but its usually when people keep trying to move after the fluid is out.

if its slipping, and the trans fluid smells burnt after theyve put the fluid back in than i wold request a new transmission

FYI - Neither one of the TSB would kill the tranny and the latest one is 2010. Wouldn't it have showed up long before this year? The service manager said he just got a new TSB this year. I questioned him and he has yet to respond. He also said he had an 5 cylinder with the same tranny with the same issues. did the 4l60e come with the 5 cylinder?

these are the only tsbs for the h3. as of now anyways..
4l60e did not come in the 5 cyl.
if you have any damage to your trans at all , it would have been when it ran empty

Cammy its slipping no question!

i would definatly requesting a new transmission (at their expense) as this is obviously from loosing fluid on the highway.
tsb's should honestly have nothing to do with your situation

hi there

please dont forget to rate me as it is important for my page!

thanks!

cam

camerontech
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic