Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Kohler cv 740 engine revs up high when starting and have to

pull throttle back to slow...
Kohler cv 740 engine revs up high when starting and have to pull throttle back to slow it down then slowing increase throttle back up. Also doe's it when PTO is first engaged.
Answered in 2 days by:
6/19/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Sounds like your governor linkage is out of adjustment. Are you familiar with how to adjust those?

no

Ok I will send you a video, all governors are the same on those.

ok , thks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rO8AvDrdeM

This will show the linkage and how to adjust, let me know how it works out

Before changing anything I checked the linkage for free movement. Appears to be sticking. Started engine and revs up for just a few seconds and then returns to normal. Engaged PTO and again revved up and back down in a few seconds. If it were out of adjustment would it not rev up and stay up?
I'm not sure that adjusting is the answer.

The governor is a variable speed governor on that engine and yes it will do what its doing like that if its out. Did you adjust it?

Another option could be your fuel trim on the carb. there should be a tiny falthead brass screw for that , clockwise is more fuel counter clockwise is less

Have not tried adjustment yet.

If you can send a pic of the carb and springs setup I might could see if anything is out of place too.

Thanks for your help. I am studying the video to ensure I do it right. The governor linkage is horizonal on this one.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 5 stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say "I'm satisfied".

2. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to followup

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
As I was getting ready to adjust the governor I notice a electrical wire hanging down and was against the throttle lever on the carb and was restricting it from free movement. I move the wire and secured it away from the carb and that was the problem. Running fine now.
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician