Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Automotive Technician with a Bachelors Degree in Automotive Technology
78075103

I have a Pontiac G6 2007 3.5. It was low on oil from a half

Customer Question

I have a Pontiac G6 2007 3.5. It was low on oil from a half ass oil changeand while driving it lost power and will not start again the engine sometimes will almost turn over and then cut off and other times it won't do anything but click like the starter solenoid I use the diagnostic tool and pulled the code p011 I am attempting to locate the valve timing solenoid and it's seeming impossible to find clear instructions on where it is located I have removed the air filter area out of the way but can not recognize the intake solenoid I'm not sure this is even the problem which is where I need help thank you in advance
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It happened 3 times over 30 min & now will not start at all
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I don't see an arrow
JA: Are you fixing your G6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, i have pulled 6 ODBII codes- P0011 or P0111 about the engine timing & the other 5 codes were various misfires. Im assuming they are due to the P0111. The info I've gathered suggest to check the intake selonoid in bank 1 but I can not locate it to start there
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car was also low on transmission fluid when this occurred. It was driven only 30 min with the oil & trans low before it shit down completely
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am tending to lean toward a failed sensor, specifically the camshaft position sensor or its associated wiring. We should be looking at this before we condemn the engine. If you like I can send you the location of the sensor.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please, I have searched & searched trying to follow pictures, descriptions & instructions but so far every one has differed from my vehicle layout or I'm mis understanding something. So please be as specific as possible leaving out no steps lol. Im sure it's been right in my face. Thank you!