Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 1997 firebird....brake pedal goes all the way to

Customer Question
Ok I have a 1997...
Ok I have a 1997 firebird....brake pedal goes all the way to the floor while running....changed calipers Pads, master cylinder and ABS Pump....system has been properly bled several times at a loss for wjat else it could be
JA: Have you tried cleaning and oiling the brake pedal's pivot under the dash?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your Firebird yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fixing myself.....replaced calipers, rotors, pads, checked all lines, master cylinder has been replaced and just put in a new ABS pump....still goes to the floor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is about it
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Car
5/11/2017
Auto Mechanic: Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech replied 6 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

I will tell post a test here on this page that you can do to help determine where the root cause is.

Clamp off all brake hoses going to each caliper using a vice grips or brake hose clamp tool.

Then start the engine and see if there is any change.

Let me know!

No change

So you ran this test within 3 minutes?

Please be honest so I can help you.

I did that yesterday....I do know what I'm doing to test everything

Ok, so did you bench bleed the master cylinder?

If so, both of these have been left out of your initial post.

when I put in the new master cylinder it was bench bled, did the usual buddy bleed from furthest to closest after putting in the new calipers and pads, put in the ABS pump then bled everything again still no change pedal goes all the way down

It may be best for us to speak on the phone.

Sorry not paying $26 for a phone call

I can lower the cost of the phone call down to $5 bucks for you

No....bad enough I paid $19 for this....unfortunately I'm just at a loss....I know what I'm doing I'm not just some idiot trying to change my own brakes...i've literally done/changed everything and needed some new ideas of what to check this is the first time i have been inable to solve a problem

I understand

Obviously this was a waste of time....thank you

I will leave this open for other experts.

Auto Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic

Hello does your firebird have disc brakes on the rear? If so does your parking brake work? And I see you have bleed the brakes, but have you taken a scanner and performed The ABS function bleed. Unless this is done you are going to have air trapped inside the hydraulic portion of the module.

Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic