sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Second opinion] 2001 catera. Shifts into second gear but

Customer Question

Second opinion] 2001 catera. Shifts into second gear but does not engage...like it's in neutral, untill let off the accelerator and reapply.JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?Customer: 11500 miles on car. No have not checked brake switchJA: Are you fixing your Catera yourself? What have you tried so far?Customer: Yes I will be making my own repairs. I had thought of changing fluid/filter thought maybe a sticking valve or solenoidJA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?Customer: Just need to know the cause so I can repair it
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you have to let off the throttle to allow it to engage and it only happens in a single gear then you almost certainly have clutch damage or leakage.

Has the fluid level and condition been checked?
Have you checked for fault codes?