Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I did something dumb and would like a straight answer is

Customer Question
that possible? do i owe...
I did something dumb and would like a straight answer is that possible? do i owe money for asking questions
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: If i was trying to jump start a car - i hooked the dead battery positive to the donor battery negative, the dead battery negative to the chassis of the donor car....could I have done damage to the dead car? seems to me that this would not cause an issue since it is not a closed circuit....i did not see any sparks or smoke nor smell anything
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: i have charged a car battery before. just messed this up i didn't/dont have a voltmeter
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i really just want to know if the dead battery positive to the charged battery negative could cause a reverse polarity issue
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's really it thank you
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Car
Hello, I thought that this would send me to a live chat instead of an email which is why I didn't provide further details on the question. I believe the lights stayed on for over a week on a 2004 Lexus RX330. I was able to jump start this car about 6 days ago and had it idly for a while, but never ran it. The car was quite dead-- no radio, lights, ect when I first had to jump it. Jump started fine and let it run for about 10 minutes. Turned it off and then went to start it again today. Again, the car wouldn't start, so I jumped it. This time I messed up and had the connection incorrect. I had the dead battery positive connected to the donor battery negative. The dead battery negative connected to the chassis of the donor car. I noticed this when the Lexus (dead car) wasn't taking a charge (probably took about 2 minutes for me to notice) and immediately switch the positive to positive. The Lexus charged up and I was able to get it to start and unconnected all the cables. I let the Lexus run, and somewhere before 10 minutes in, I heard the CD start skipping and the GPS started going in and out like the battery was struggling. I turned the car off and haven't been able to get it jumped or started since. When I insert the key and turn the car on the lights on the dash flash but there is no clicking or radio or any other things going on. I am worried I hurt the car in my dumb moment of dead positive to donor negative. Please answer if this could have caused damage. Thank you.
4/18/2017
Auto Mechanic: Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech. replied 9 months ago
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.

Yes you can blow fuses, fusible links, and even blow the computer up. What is the year make and model of your car and what size engine does it have in it?

Kalamykid
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.