Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Hellow Ninjas! I need to replace the camshaft position

Hellow Ninjas! I need...

Hellow Ninjas! I need to replace the camshaft position sensor on my 2003 Kia Sorento. I have the top cover off of the timing belt and can see the 2 bolts that I need to remove. I took them out without taking out the timing belt (after an hour of mastering my fingers :) After doing it, I read that I had to remove before the negative battery cable... which I didn't :( I did a quick test and I thought everything was perfect. But then I had to go out to the store and the symtoms came back- hard idling rough start, and eventually the motor won't kick over. I wonder if it was because I didn't do the battery thing or because part of the sensor that has the bolts I put it backwards...? I have saw a few draws of the part of the bolts but I would lake to see a real picture and ofcourse your thoughts! Thanks!!! Happy life! Marcel

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

I changed on January... (a mechanicm not me)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just the power searing pump and this now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well most of all this matter of the sensor...

4/9/2017
Auto Mechanic: Trev, Technician replied 5 years ago
Trev
Trev, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will try to assist you

what was the original reason for changing the sensor?

have you had a diagnostic code read carried out?

I had two diagnost code and both were the camshaft position sensor

what codes did you have? there are a lot of codes referring to the camshaft position, however they do not all mean the sensor is faulty.

can you also supply me with the engine size and type in your car

Well, i don't have te printout with me, but one was on outozone and other on a local shop and both coincide that problem was the camshaft position sensorAutozoneKia Sorento 3.5 V6 2WD

ok, ideally the engine management codes would be helpful, but I can tell you that the fact you didn't remove the earth cable shouldn't will not make any difference, this is just to ensure that the engine cannot be accidentally cranked over whilst the timing belt is off.

if you can find those codes it will help a lot, however it may be a problem with engine timing, wiring or even the crank sensor that is causing a camshaft sensor code.

did the description in the code include the word corolation in it?

I'll try to get them right now

thank you

Code P0340 "indicates a fault in the Bank 1 ( or single sensor) Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' electrical circuit for a predetermined period of time"This report is from Auto Zone I didn't found the other one frome the local shopit doesn't mention anything about word "corolation" word. The sensor that I bought isn't oryginal, it that may also be an issue?

thank you, ***** ***** a circuit malfunction in the camshaft sensor, or the wiring to the ecu, or even the ecu itself.

the fact that it misfires at higher engine speeds indicates a resistance problem, check all the wiring back to the ecu carefully, check the colours of the wires into the plug for the sensor, then find the same color wiring at the ecu, unplug them from both ends and check continuity with a multi meter, there should ne no more than .2 ohms resistance, check the resistance across the terminals of the sensor itself, should be ideally between 200 and 300 ohms. check the connections in the plug at both the sensor and the ecu.

if all wiring is good, and sensor is good, then you need to be sending the ECU away for testing/repair to a specialist.

I'm sorry I don't know much about engines... :( what means ECU? :)

the ecu is the brain of the engine, it is basically a computer that controls everything, all the engine electricals are connected to it, follow the wiring back and it will lead you to a large metal box which they are all plugged into, this is the ecu, if you are unsure of testing then it is probably a good idea to take it to a garage, show them what I have suggested and let them carry out the tests.

Thanks a lot Trev!
you have been very hepful! Have nice week, month, life!one more thing, if it is the sensor, should I buy it original?

buy whatever your budget will allow, but you get what you pay for, if you buy an after market one, ensure its an OE quality one

Thanks again!!!

no problem, if you found my help useful, please click accept and rate me.

Thanks

sure!were I can rate you, I'm clicking the stars on top but it doesn't do anythingwhere

not sure, I don't see it from this end

Trev
Trev, Technician