Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR. 2.4 motor it makes a rattle noise

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR. 2.4 motor it makes a rattle noise when I do a left hand turn. It also does it when at stop and idle while still in gear. If I put it in neutral it stops. Any ideas
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It's coming from the motor.
JA: Are you fixing your HHR yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Was told it could be tranny but have not had it looked at.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

if you open the hood is this noise from the front of the engine where the timing cover is or the are where the engine drive belt is ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's on the right hand side as your standing in front looking into the motor

the transmission where it meets the engine area ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure. I don't have access to the car right this minute. But it would help to give me some things to look for later. I was also thinking it could be a motor mount. What should I look for

first off if does it at idle see of its the drover side or passenger side of the engine

then is it forward or rear ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's on the driver side. It does it at idle and when you take a left turn. It's a rattle and vibration. It will stop at idle if you put it in neutral

how long have you owned it ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Bought it new 2006

automatic or stick shift ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Automatic

if its making this noise like this only when driving run this up in the air and see if this noise is coming from a front hub/bearing area OR inside where the axles go into the transmission

these issues are usually the bearings or the axles or inside the transmission

usually with these codes the issue is going to be a bad spark plugs and or bad cap and rotor

with the code not restiing or the codes it should be fine to drive

usually again these codes are usually corrected with na good tune up with a cap and rotor and a new feul filter

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer