Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

My Battery is dieing while driving, Yes no leaks and voltage

My Battery is dieing while driving
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Yes no leaks and voltage is 14.6
JA: What is the model of your '14 Lexus?
Customer: 1996
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I have replaced the battery, alternator, and most fuses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car runs fine when the battery is charged but the alt doesn't seem to recharge the battery as I drive

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

have you checked for battery drains ,can you do that and let me know if the ecm fuse is drwaing battery down or any other fused circuit

Battery Drainage Test

1- Voltmeter
2- settings on voltmeter will be on milli amps.
3- go across all the fuses in the car and see which one is reading higher than 0.3 to 0.5 milli amps
4- the fuse drawing more than 0.5 miili amps ,will be the suspected circuit that needs inspection for the drainage.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do keep the battery connected or disconnected

no keep it connected, car off ,and voltmeter ,on each fuse ,in the outside fuse box and inside , go across the fuse one by one and see which on pulling more than 0.5 milli amps

make sure interior dome light is off , so you don't think that circuit is drawing

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not getting anything that high

ok, you got voltmeter set on milli amps right ?

with voltmeter battery ,and car running, and all loads on ,like radio, flasher ,ac, headlights dome light ,are you stilling reading 14.6 volts , same thing while running and loads on if you rev it up and watch voltmeter still 14.6 or goes down ?

have you check for loose or corrode grounds on battery cables from battery to starter and alternator and ground connections from engine block to frame

what model 96 lexus

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just found a loose grd connection

awesome :) repair & retest and hopefully that will solve it

Please Read Below How Easy You Can get Back in Touch with Me For Any Follow Up Questions You May Have On This Issue

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am till Late Eastern Time Zone

Please Remember to Kindly Rate My Answer Using The Stars At Top of The Page

A 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

If You Are Using A Free Trial Or Have A Subscription A Positive Rating Of 3 Stars Or Above Is Required For Me To Be Compensated

For My Time & Resources .

Thank You
Chad Farhat