Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Moose, Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details…

Moose, Assistant: Thanks. Can you...
Moose,
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Wife was driving our 04 Odyssey yesterday. Throttle acted like it was stuck open. Very scary.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think the ABS was engaged the first time it happened, but NOT the second time. Car will also rev high occasionally during cold start.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
brakes were applied in both instances
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when the throttle races occasionally at cold start, the pedal was not depressed.
1/30/2017
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If or has the check engine light come on with this fault here at all?

Let me know so we can continue from here,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No CEL, Pete.

O.k.,this model uses a throttle cable and not the electronic throttle pedal and actuator on the throttle body so this isnt an issue here but what can cause this fault is if there is carbon build up in the throttle body bore this can cause the bore plate to stick and cause this issue.Usually you can take a shop rag with carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner sprayed on it to spray out and clean the carbon.I would have this checked to see if this needs done.

The other issue that can cause this fault is if you have a vacuum leak in the engine.If there is a loose or broken vacuum hose or the throttle body or intake gaskets are leaking this causes excess air to enter the cooling system and causes the engine to rev up like this here.I would have the engine checked over for any vacuum leaks needing repaired here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
Pete, Technician