EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

2003 Suburban Parking Brake Cable Installation and

2003 Suburban Parking Brake Cable Installation and AdjustmentI have to replace the intermediate parking brake cable on my 2003 Suburban. The factory cable has the threaded adjustment on it, but the replacements cable does not. It just has a crimp holding the equalizer attachment for the rear cables. The problem is that without that adjustment, I don't have any way to loosen the tension on the front cable or the rear cables enough so that I can insert the new cable. The parts sheet at the Chevy dealer had a note saying that it is to be adjusted at the pedal, but I cannot find an adjustment at the pedal. Any ideas how I can install this?
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: new all around
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have the part just can not put on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi. I have encountered this before. What you need to do to get some slack in the cable, is go to the front cable underneath the vehicle. Get some vice grips and attach it to the cable. Pull rearward on the front cable and you will pull out the slack. When you stop pulling the cable will want to go back, so what I do is when I have the front cable pulled out, I use another pair of vice grips and clamp it on the cable so it cant go back in. This will leave you the slack to work with.

Thanks for viewing my response and please take a moment to rate my assistance with your question. And, as always, after rating the question will remain open for any follow-ups you may have. Thank you.