Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I had a 2005 6-cylinder Camry LE. It was recently rear-ended

I had a 2005 6-cylinder Camry LE. It was recently rear-ended and it's a total loss so I have to buy a new car. I've become a serious fan of that 6-cylinder engine, b/c it's saved my life more than once when I've had to get onto the highway really fast, or when I've had to suddenly avoid a bad or dangerous driver. - So I'm looking at new Camrys (all models), and even the Avalon. But the salesmen are telling me that the new 4-cylinder Camry engine would out-power my old 2005 6-cylinder Camry engine. That it will accelerate from 0-60 faster than my old engine. They're also telling me that therefore, unless I really have a general need for speed, the new Camry 4-cylinder engine will be not only as good but better than my old engine and will suit my needs perfectly. --- Is this true??

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

The 17 Camry comes with a 2.5 with 178 horsepower and 170 ftlb of torque

The 17 Avalon comes with a 3.5 with 268 horsepower and 248 ftlb of torque

Your 05 had 210 horsepower and 220 ftlb of torque.

If speed and power are the main focus then the new 4 cylinder will be weaker than what you had prior.

Your talking to a salesman, they rarely know actual engine performance numbers.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you saying that, for example, if I'm going 65 mph and I have to suddenly pass a bad driver who's going 75 mph, that I'll be able to pass him FASTER in my 2005 V-6 than I could in my 2017 4-cylinder? Would it be so much faster that I'd notice the difference?

The 17 4 cylinder would do this scenario just fine, its not going to bog down and not accelerate. The V6 will just do it better. You will notice a difference but not alot.