sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

Vapor lock 2008 rx8. I would like to fix it myself. I've

vapor lock 2008 rx8
JA: Are you fixing your RX-8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix it myself. I've done nothing except try to jump start it.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Let me check.back in 2 min.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Lights work. I think battery is fully charged.

Hello, I saw you mention vapor lock. Is the vehicle turning over but not starting?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The car alarm went off at 5 30am and I did everything I could to stop it. Including starting the car for 5-10 seconds. I know you're not supposed to do that but at 5 30am who thinks of it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've been reviewing you Tube videos they all say to just keep cranking it and eventually it will turn over. Do you agree?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it was truly vapor lock then yes, it would eventually start, but that's not what you're experiencing.

Have you pressed the unlock on the key fob to see if it would start then?
Are you seeing a security light staying on or flashing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not sure what you call it. This happened before when I started the car and then quickly shut it down. The car alarm went off at 5 30am the other day and I did everything to shut it off including turning the car on and off quickly. Didn't think about it until today. Mazda calls it vapor lock.

Vapor lock is when high pressure fuel vapor forms in the fuel line between the fuel pump and engine in extreme heat conditions. This isn't your case.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What ever it is the engine won't turn over. As I said. It's a known issue with rotary engines. It only happens when you turn the car on and quickly turn it off again.

The starter doesn't engage and crank the engine now?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Everything works as it should. It just doesn't turn over. It's a compression problem. I believe vapors are trapped in the chamber causing the engine to not turn over. Known issue with RX8 rotary engines.

Can you turn the engine by hand with a socket on the crank damper?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Haven't tried. Wouldn't know how to either. Several you tube videos suggest cranking the engine 10 or more times to clear the chamber. I've tried that and now the battery is almost dead. I'm getting it towed in the morning. Just thought I might be able to fix it myself. I had to do this the last time it did this.

If the engine is hydrolocked then repeated attempts at cranking is either going to damage the engine or starter. If it's locked due to liquid in the cylinders then the spark plugs need to be removed and the engine turned by hand.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Thanks. I was hoping for a quick fix.

You're welcome!

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience