Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Rear drum adjuster wheel won't move, taking wheel drum off,

rear drum adjuster wheel won't...
rear drum adjuster wheel won't move, taking wheel drum off
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: i'm replacing the wheel mount studs
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 93 ford explorer eddie bauer edition
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: myself. there's supposed to be a piece to push in to adjust it but i can't locate it. the wheel only goes in direction for expanding
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: will answer if he asks
1/10/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is***** you trying to loosen the adjuster so You can get the drum off?

Here is a picture of your rear brakes with the drum off. I you use a long thin screw driver to push the automatic adjuster lever away from the adjuster wheel and hold it while you loosen the wheel to loosen the brakes. The picture is for reference for the passenger side since adjuster wheel is toward back of vehicle.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ASEMaster35yrs/2012-07-10_194349_93-94_f150_rear_brake_diagram.jpg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i feel around for the adjuster lever but i'm not finding anything
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i've seen other illustrations as well but am unable to locate the level. incidentally there's a cable running underneath that i have no idea what' that's about. not in any of the illustrations

Using the picture as reference just put your thin screw driver along next to the star wheel and push straight in until you feel resistance and push a little more to move lever away and you can then move star adjuster.

The cable hooks to the lever and is for actuating lever. Looking at picture you will be coming in from the hole in that back. The picture is with drum off. I hope this helps? It is a little tricky finding the lever but using a thin screw driver with the brake star too does the trick.

The cable is in my picture I sent you. Its like operating with your eyes closed.

You do have rear drum brakes like in the picture I sent you correct? I want to make sure you do not have 4 wheel disc brakes when the parking brakes are inside the little drum inside of the rotor.

If you have no other questions for me then please accept answers and rate my answers 5 STARS. Thanks.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61
Jaybird61