Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2000 chevy1500 Silverado with 17000, miles.was

Customer Question

I have a 2000 chevy1500 Silverado with 17000, miles.was drving back fromn.fl. with cruisecontrol on all of the sudden my tack raced up to 4000 rpms didn't gain anyspeed.it wont shift into 3rd gear overdrive.i serviced the transmition new filter and fluid no help.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: trans is factory I assume it has not been rebuilt.where s e brake switch and how do I check it?
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: all I have done is serviced the trany new filter new fluid high dollar synthetic fluid
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not a transmechanic I don't know what else to do
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

If the engine is revving and the engine is not pulling then that means the transmission is slipping internally. In order to determine if the problem is internal or an electronic control issue you need to start first with scanning the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting. If there are no fault code setting then the problem is internal which is most likely due to the high amount of miles you have on the transmission. If you can get the can done and post back with the results that will at least verify if in fact that is the case. Post back with the scan results and we can work from there.