Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

I am trying to manually disengage the park brake for my 2012

I am trying to manually disengage the park brake for my 2012 Q5. Can you please tell me how?
JA: Are you fixing your Q5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I need to get the car towed and tow truck can't move the car as we can't get the park brake to disengage when turned on as normal.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it. How much does it cost?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Ok. All I need is the info on how to manually disengage the park brake. Do you have a tough cost estimate? Can I pay via PayPal

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

….

I have the instructions in a PDF format, at the following links. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6cyvo2990vxhkk/Parking%20Brake.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7lp7hfqk8od908/Left%20and%20right%20actuators.pdf?dl=0

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** Thanks

.

Thanks, ***** ***** come again, anytime

.

Did you get that?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jerry,
Thank you for your email. The car is parked on a hill and so can't jack it up to take the wheel off. I know with BMW's there is a lever in the boot that if you lift it, you can disengage the park brake manually. Do you know of any other ways to do this for the Q5?
Thanks again, Michael

No, the parking brake system is electronic, There may be an issue with the software in the EPB module and sometimes disconnecting the battery for a few minutes may help it to reset and release. Other than that the only way is with the factory procedure in the PDF file, sorry.

Thanks

You’re welcome and please come again, anytime, thanks.