Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Overheating, leaking coolant, hoses look ok. top ones,

Customer Question
overheating, leaking coolant JA: How old...
overheating, leaking coolant
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: hoses look ok. top ones, havent checked further
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2001 impala 3.4
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it started with radiator leak, fixed. leak moved to bleed pipe and now while tha car running alot of coolant came out near or around water pump
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just wanna make sure i dont replace the pump or thermostat and end up with blown gaskets
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Car
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/9/2017
Auto Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

A phone call would not be in your best interest. I am not able to draw diagrams or give instructions over the phone.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.

.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Jerry, Master Mechanic