Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Has trouble starting when cold and when in drive and idling

Customer Question
idle drops down periodically JA: How...
Has trouble starting when cold and when in drive and idling idle drops down periodically
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 94 silverado 305 v8 177
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Distributor cap rotor plugs wires fuel filter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
1/8/2017
Auto Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, pull the IAC and EGR valves. clean all the carbon out of them with brake parts cleaner and a brush and rag. clean them good and clean the passages where they mount. reinstall them. it should make a difference for sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would that also cause it to hesitate when you're first trying to accelerate it's like it almost stalls when I first give it gas
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I'm stopped in and drive the idle drops down and the engine makes like a knocking sound and then picks back up and then knocks again over and over again but when I'm on the gas it seems to run great

yes, those would cause problems like that. is the check engine light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No no engine lights are on what so ever

ok, yea then try that. let me know how much improvement you get.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

keep me posted..please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One other thing when it's been sitting for a couple of hours and I go to start it it usually won't start right up unless I cycle the key a couple of times

fuel pump............

or the fuel pressure regulator. it should not take 3 times to build up the right pressure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yah when it sits a couple hours
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also replaced the fuel filter

fuel filters rarely cause problems anymore. its either a weak pump or fpr. have a fuel pressure test done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What pressure should it be stabilized to have when running

i wil send you the spec. allow me a sec

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just getting to my truck now I took off my IAC and cleaned it thoroughly it was kind of dirty but I don't seem to see an EGR on my engine

standby a minute, i send you a pic

electronic vacuum regulator valve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found it cleaned it and the IAC I also bought a rebuild kit for the pressure regulator valve and rebuilt that starting it up now I'll update you in a few minutes

i really hope its clears everything up for you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the IAC is the spring inside supposed to have a decent amount of resistance because mine was fairly soft. And the truck still hesitates and stumbles and ever built the fuel pressure regulator

the pintle on the inside should not be able to hardly move unless electrically actuated

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I did find the PCV valve hose headache rack and the other breather hose going from the carburetor to the other side valve cover also had a crack so I temporarily take them up but still runs the same the only thing I really have left is the fuel pump

check the fuel pressure before replacing the pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a gauge to check it but I found a new pump online for fifty bucks. What really else could it be

fuel injectors not getting pulse from the computer, clogged fuel injectors...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But if that was the case wouldn't do it even when the engine is cold. Because if I shut the truck off and then started back up again it idles and runs fine for about 5 minutes and then starts doing it again

I suppose it would, but I would run to harbor freight, but a fuel pressure guase for cheap and test it before replacing the pump. because if its the pump,why would it wait 5 minutes? something is dropping out and overheating. and it may be the pump, but i would want to be sure.

do you still need assistance?

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician