Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have 2003 GXL Toyota Prado and have a squeak when I turn

Customer Question

I have 2003 GXL Toyota Prado and have a squeak when I turn on the AC
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: not sure ... it only sounds when i turn on the ac
JA: What is the model of your '03 Toyota?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was about to spray belt with water to see if sound goes away, which tells me its the belt ....
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The pulley arrangement to get to the tensioner i guess
Category: Car
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I AM ALSO WANTING TO CHANGE MY OIL IN THIS VEHICLE /// WHAT OIL SHOULD I USE ....
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input so I can help you better. I read your notes to what is happening and need to know your vehicle's mileage.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Approximately 210,000km

Sorry I took so long was away with the Mrs. Any way, check to see if the belt is tight and not cracked or glazed. ALSO YOU MAY HAVE TO TAKE THE BELT OFF SO YOU CAN CHECK IF THE BEARING ON THE a/c COMPRESSOR IS SMOOTH AND TURNING FREELY. I will see if I can find a diagram for the belt tension-er.

I'll send you some pics to help you out. Is your engine a 4 or 6 cylinder? To release the tenser you have to turn it counter clock wise.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for the late reply ... I been busy ... The Mrs just got a new job, so we been busy with that. Thanks for the pics, I'll check them out .... I was thinking of maybe trying to send you a photo of my belt arrangement because it doesnt seem to appear online .....
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have attached two photos of the belt and pulley arrangement in my car. I'm not sure if its clear enough, but I can't work out where the Tension Pulley is situated. I can only think that its attached to the Alternator, but I have no idea ......

This should look similar to yours , notice the nut beside the pulley, tht's what you pry on with a socket to release the tension