Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a2002 lincoln blackwood truck I changed the

Customer Question
alternator a out a new...
I have a2002 lincoln blackwood truck I changed the alternator a out a new battery in it, and my truck still drains all the power from the battery even when driving and sitting in the carport....I put the red top optimum battery and a new alternator 2 days ago and I drove the truck fully powered and it just started draining the battery again and I need help what causes this? Please help me
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes
JA: What year is your Blackwood?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your Blackwood yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New battery and alternator still the power drains
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Even while I'm driving the truck the power drains and the lights goes dim until you can barely see....
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
1/5/2017
Auto Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be attempting to help you today. Have you tested how many volts the alternator is putting out?

Auto Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Have you put a voltmeter on the battery with the truck running to see what the charging voltage is? If any.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I have not, but I never had this problem before with this truck, I do have music in it, TV screens 4 to be exact, but that's it I never had a problem like this, and I have had the truck since 2010....

By the fact that it loses power while driving I would suspect the battery is not being charged. Sometimes when an alternator fails it can blow a fuse. Make sure all the fuses in the engine compartment are good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok but will that drain a new battery while driving the truck with a new alternator also?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have all the fuses checked

If the alternator is not charging because a blown fuse, or whatever reason, the electronics in the truck will kill the battery while driving it.

Ok. Do that and let me know. You really should check the voltage of the battery with the truck running also.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I see what you are saying now how do I check those big fuses in the engine compartment to know if they are good are not?

The square ones?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a brand new red top Optimum battery a $300 battery....and driving or sitting the battery drains all the way down...I really hope it's a fuse!!

I agree. would be helpful to know if its actually charging. But to check the square fuses there is a sight glass in the top and you can look into it to see if the 2 fuse wires are burnt or not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will do that!!!! How do I exactly check to see if it's charging or not...

with a volt meter across the battery terminals.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have to charge the battery back up take it out of the truck and charge it, will check everything as you said and get back to you immediately....this is very frustrating....I thank you so much Eric for your expert help, I just hope it works out!!!

Ok you are welcome. Please take a moment to rate my assistance also. Thanks and let me know.

Hi. Thanks for viewing my last response. Do you have any more questions on this? Let me know. Also please take a moment to rate my assistance to you. Thanks.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician