Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 2003 land rover range rover 4.4 liter. cranks over

Customer Question
i have a 2003 land...
i have a 2003 land rover range rover 4.4 liter. cranks over but does not start. occasionally it will start briefly but than dies instantly. I have a verus scanner and came up with no codes. checked fuel pressure and checked out at 45psi. i check for spark and i am getting spark. pulled spark plugs and noticed they were flooded with fuel. compression test check out good on all cylinders. put new plugs in and still no start.
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: vehicle has a 140 and just recently serviced about 3 month ago
JA: Are you fixing your Range Rover yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am. I installed a new crank sensor from orielly's auto parts. new spark plugs. and also replaced the fuel pump
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think of at the moment
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2017
Auto Mechanic: Mike S., Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Were all of the spark plugs covered in gasoline?

Did you check to make sure you get a spark on each cylinder?

If you have a tachometer does it work or not? If not then that would point toward a fault within the crankshaft position sensor circuit and although you replaced the sensor, it could be something wrong with the wiring on that circuit, if the tach don't work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the spark plugs were soaked in gasoline and as i crank the engine i can see the rpm reading on my scanner and it does read rpm. I also did a continuity test from the crank to ecm and passed.

Were all of the spark plugs covered in gasoline or just a few?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all spark plugs were soaked and all coils are getting spark

See if it will start and run for a few seconds with after you clean the gasoline off the park plugs and try a few small shots of starting fluid into the throttle body.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I disconnected the fuel pump fuse and tried with starting fluid and did not start. Reconnected fuse and does not start. It's starts and stalls every 4 to 5 attempts. I'm curious to know whats the reference signal on the crank sensor supposed to be. 2 terminal connector
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i am getting a 2.5 volt reading on both terminals

I'll look that up but like I said before if the tach is working then too is the crank sensor.

Anyhow, why didn't you clean the spark plugs like I asked? If they continue to get flooded with gasoline, they will have to be cleaned constantly at least until this no start problem is fixed.

I just use carb cleaner and let them dry for few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i put new plugs in nice and dry.

I am reading that this has 2 crankshaft position sensors and the red/white wires are also spliced into the wires that feed the fuel injectors and they all are fed from a fuse that appears to be 12 volts, so you should have 12 volts on those wires. How many volts do you show at the fuel injector red/white wires with the key on run?

Here is the Engine Performance Circuit

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let me check it out give me a few
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you send location of crank sensors. i see one on trans bell housing. where is the other

Perhaps there is only the 1. Anyhow, how many volts do you have at the fuel injector red/white wires?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also i see that the wire colors on the crank sensor located on the trans bell housing are black and yellow not red/wht and yel like shown on the diagram you sent me

Give me the vin number, perhaps you are wrong about the year, engine, etc.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
SALMB11423A111465

Well, that is a 2003 Range Rover 4.4 alright.

Just by chance I looked up the 2002 and it only has the 1 crank sensor and it's wire colors are black/yellow, pink/black and black.

Let me lookup the 2004.

It's the same as the 2003.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have the alldata program and it shows that the crank sensor wires run directly to the ecm. no shared signal. correct me if im wrong

Can you allow me to look at those alldata wiring diagrams?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let me try to send it

ok, if not in here post it to an online site and then give me the link.

Any chance this engine and crank sensor harness was swapped out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Attached scanned Doc

That is odd. I suppose Mitchell has the wrong diagrams.

I am going to opt out, cause who knows how much more their repair manual is wrong and I could do more harm than good with the wrong info.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic