Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

I won't start I got in rear door accident and roof airbag

I won't start I got in rear door accident and roof airbag blow up
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes it is running but won't start
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: looks like fuel pump shoot off 2007 is250 83000mi
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet I need to start it in order to drive and fix it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think it all

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

If any of the air bags deploy, then the SRS control module send the signal to the Engine Computer not to ground the fuel pump. The fuel pump is shut off in the event of a collision strong enough to deploy the air bags. You will need an advanced type scan tool to scan for codes and reset the SRS control module to get it out of crash mode, at that time you will be able to start and drive the vehicle even with a deployed air bag, let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where I can get advanced type scan tool to scan is that dealer only and what kind is that?
Where SRS control module located? Do I have to reset it or put a new one?

A lot of independent shops have the scan tool capable of doing the job. You may just want to call around first and ask if one has a scan tool capable of getting an SRS module out of crash mode. Until the roof curtain is replaced, you will still have that SRS light on. So you would need to replace the roof curtain, get the SRS module out of crash mode. Then let the system self test and see if any other codes are present. If no other codes are present, (The SRS system performs a self test everytime you start the vehicle) if the SRS light goes out and no codes are present after that, then it is good to go.

An independent shop may have to send it out to be reprogrammed on this model. There are some companies that will get the SRS module and reset the data. It just depends on what they have invested in. A dealership is going to want to replace it and reprogram a new one which is going to be a lot, unless it's an insurance claim and it can be covered of course.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Anything also we can try to do since reset didn't help?

If you could find one with the same part number on it at a salvage yard that came out of a car that had NO air bag deployment (gonna be a hard find) then it would probably work. But, that and what I described above are the only ways I can think of to remedy this situation.

Hello, I thought I would follow up with you. Did you have any luck with that or need to ask anything else? Thank you.