Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

99 Bentley Arnage Label. ran yesterday well. This morning,

Customer Question
Hi. 99 Bentley Arnage...

Hi. 99 Bentley Arnage Green Label. ran yesterday well. This morning, will crank, no ignition...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery lately?

Yes, it is in good condition. The cranking is at good speed, weather is cool but not cold, just lower than normal in Florida.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Arnage yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its stuck in my garage, panama City Beach FL does not have a wealth of Bentley dealers.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats all for now.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BTW, I only ahve my android phone with me so cannot access your app at this time.
1/3/2017
Auto Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

The problem can be a loss of spark or fuel. You can check for
spark at the plugs with a spark tester. Check compression too for a
possible valve timing issue with a compression gauge.
You can check fuel pressure with a gauge and all of these tools
should be available to you at your
local parts store for rent or purchase.
You need to check for any stored codes in the computer with a
code reader or a scan tool.
The code reader only gives the codes and definitions, where the
scan tool gives you all
the needed data to diagnose the codes.
Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron, the issue is more interesting than that. The car has two batteries as you know. On turning on the ignition key, I get no response at all until I get to the crank position on the ignition switch, at which time the engine starter engages, and the dash lights illuminate. I suspect that indicates a problem with the low draw battery circuit or the battery itself, not being the cranking battery. Any suggestions on that? I am commencing a charging of the low draw now to see if I can get life back that way. I assume there will be fusible links as well in the battery circuit that could be the issue, or it is charging related.

Both batteries need to be tested for specific gravity and load.

The ignition switch can also cause a loss of amps to the batteries.

The whole starting system needs to be voltage drop tested for anything that is excessive.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly appreciate a 5
star rating now and I will still assist you after you have rated me
too if another question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you
until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor