Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2006 4 runner - front calipers bolt is leaking. I

Customer Question

2006 4 runner - front calipers bolt is leaking. I accidentally loosened them but tightened them when i saw fluid coming out. I'm now experiencing lose of brake pedal and still see evidence of fluid leak. How do I stop it?
JA: Just to clarify, what is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where is the location of the leak?
Customer: brake fluid
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2006 4 runner toyota
JA: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trying to fix it. I've tried to tighten the bolts. When I bled the brakes and my daughter had pressure on the pedal, I could see fluid seeping around caliper bolt.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Did you remove the bolts completely?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok, there are washers between the bolt and the brake hose, and the hose and the caliper. If some dirt got in there or their position changed then it could be the problem. I would pull them off, clean up the washers and re install. This should stop the brake fluid from leaking. You have to be careful not to overtighten them because they will snap off. They are hollow inside, but if you clean the mating surfaces it should be safe and should solve the problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, so the leaking would come out the back side of the bolt (towards the outside of the brakes)?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Yes, either under the brake hose or between the bolt head and the hose.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?