FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Have a Hummer H1 with CTIS. When I replaced my tires, the

Customer Question

Have a Hummer H1 with CTIS. When I replaced my tires, the tire dealer balanced them with balance bead bags. Later, when I activated the deflation switch, the switch apparently stuck open deflating the tire while at speed, shredding the tires. Mechanic found the hoses and CTIS manifold filled with Balance beads. Dealer is claiming a defective actuator valve and takes no responsibility for introducing balance beads into a closed CTIS system. What do you know about such matters?
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: The are 37 x 12.5 x 17 Nitros. Approximately 5,000 miles. The last set of tire purchased from the same dealer lasted about 10,000 miles because they couldn't balance them with wheel weights.
JA: Are you fixing your H1 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It is fixed. Replaced deflate actuator valve, purged all hoses and manifold, replaced one Quick disconnect valve and a hub seal. OK now, but cost about 4K to get to this point including two new tires.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** should not have used the beads with this system. I know that most, if not all manufacturers of the balance beads do not recommend them with any CTIS system. The shop should have known this and really should be responsible for the repairs. If you need more help please let me know.