Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

After driving it has a strong smell of gas then over night

Customer Question
it goes away ---replaced the...
After driving it has a strong smell of gas then over night it goes away ---replaced the gas cap 2009 LTZ malibu 2.4 L
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: yes it burn more gas that before
JA: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had a local run digos. on it said it was cap but smell came back
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Car
11/28/2016
Auto Mechanic: Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech replied 11 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Are you saying that the check engine light is on and there is a code in the computer for the evap system?

Do you know the code number by chance?

No the check engine is NOT on I dont have code--------

Was there is gas cap code in the computer? What did the local shop say about the gas cap?

He replaced the gas cap

Ok, got it. Thank you for that information.

It sounds like there is an evap leak. This is not a liquid leak, but a fuel vapor leak and that is why you are smelling fuel. This is coming from a component from the evaporative emissions system. Charcoal canister, vent solenoid, purge solenoid or evap hose/line. The fix is to get the evap system smoked checked for leaks to find the component that is leaking and then replace it. That is your best bet as it is hard to find a leaking component without a smoke machine.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech