Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

Discovery 4 had the DPF / Cats removed. Now the EGT sFault

Customer Question

Discovery 4 had the DPF / Cats removed. Now the EGT sFault code is set and car is in restricted performance mode. Sensor was ok before DPF removed. How can I clear the code permanently.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hi im kevin have you had software remapped ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Kevin. I'm Thomas. Yes the software was remapped to exclude the EGR sensor (since the EGR was blanked off) and also to improve performance. The Techie tried various remaps to get the EGT sensor to stop showing a fault but failed - he decided it must be a hardware (sensor) fault. However I disagree that its a hardware error, unless he damaged it somehow when removing the DPF, which I also doubt since it was not touched.
I read somewhere that I can fool the ECU by replacing the Temperature sensor with a 2.2ohm resistor.
Thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Not sure about the resistor but softwre should have sorted this

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

I domt offer phone service im happy to continue online

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok Sure. So what should I do next? Is it a soft ware issue? Or shall I try the resistor , a cheaper option for sure.
Why would the Exhaust Gas Temp increase when i remove the DPF? Surely it should be lower?
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Do you know which temp sensor 1 or 2

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry I dont know? Are there 2 sensors?
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Normally multiple what engine size do you have

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
3.0 lt SDV6 Diesel
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

My info is not clear possible two il opt out see if another tech can confirm

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay so I will expect a post from someone else.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok so I think I know what the problem is. The remap for more performance has caused a hotter exhaust gas due to a richer fuel/air mixture. This sensor fault lights up after heavy acceleration, which results in a hot exhaust gas.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you can install a 2.2 ohm resistor in series with the temp sensor, I dont kn ow which tune was installed, but this will keep trick the computer into seeing the proper exhaust temp, the performance tune will give it more fuel, and with that, the exhaust temps will raise, do you have an exhaust temp gauge install in this?