sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

In a 2007 Audi A4 convertible, I have replaced the top's

In a 2007 Audi A4 convertible, I have replaced the top's electric pump. In operation, the front of the top rise, the rear window rises, the compartment door opens and rises -- and then floats back down, as does the top.
What am I missing?
It is the first time since April that anything other than a front unlatch has taken place and the first time since owning the car (3+ yrs) that the top's warning light does not flash a dozen times before going out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
BTW, the fluid level -- checked with the top closed -- is good. I have tried what may prove to be incorrect bleeding processes. I did not find one specifically for the 2007.

hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the top raises and then falls on it's own it's due to air still being in the system. What procedure did you use to try to fill and bleed the system?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well thanks for the reply. Hoping it's that simple. First I simply, raised and lowered the roof 4 times. Then I loosed the cap on the reservoir and raised and lowered it 2 more times. Neither procedure was shown for a 2007.

Why was the pump replaced?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The original would no longer engage.

The motor would no longer run or it would run but the top didn't move?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It would no longer run.

Where did the replacement part come from?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
An Audi dealer at a discounted price.I appreciate what you're trying to do here, but could I simply get a proper bleeding procedure?

It is bled by filling the reservoir and cycling the top fully until all air is removed from the system and the level stays consistent.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Is the level checked with the top down or up? And does the reservoir cap need to be loose?

The level is checked with the top closed. The cap can be loose for bleeding as long as it isn't overfilled.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks. Pretty much what I've done but I'll go at it again and watch the level.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello sprinkie...Between work and rain (no garage) I have yet to spend the time to bleed the system again. More extensively. So I've held off on rating, etc. Thanks.

You're welcome.