Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 2008 Suzuki XL7 that I was using to jump start

Customer Question
another car. It seems...
I have a 2008 Suzuki XL7 that I was using to jump start another car. It seems that a fuse or something blew, as I heard something click off at that time. Now it will not activate the starter. The "Service Stability Control" light is on the dash. I have a new battery. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere. The Equinox has an 80 amp Mega fuse, but my under-hood fuse box has none. So lights come on the dash when trying to start but the starter will not activate.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
11/15/2016
Auto Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After installing the battery I locked the car with my remote, and after the security light came on I unlocked it with the remote. So there should not be a security lock-down taking place.

Do you hear a click or anything when you go to start it?

Also, do you have a test light to use to check the fuses to make sure there is actually power at the fuse we need to check?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No click at all. The Equinox which is a similar car, has an 80 amp mega-fuse in the under-hood fuse box. There is none in my XL7 box. I read online that that can blow when jumping a car. Where is it on my XL7?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced a 40 amp fuse that someone suggested effects the starter, and I replaced the starter relay. No change.

Translated does this mean you don't have a test light?
Can you check fuse #15 in the fuse box under the hood and make sure it's not blown?
If I understand your original post, you do have some power to some things on the car?

Just got your second post, this might be the fuse I am talking about.

Give me a few minutes to look and see if I can come up with the fusible link location for you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced 15
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
power is on the dash, the door locks, etc

Ok

So far I have only come up with the BATT3 fusible link, 50 amp in the box

Please check it, I am going to continue to look, I have some ideas to chec

Didn't want you to think I just vanished!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took it out previously and inspected it carefully and saw no defects. I don't have a test light handy.

Might have something, it looks like there is a 200 amp fuse on the line to the starter from the alternator. This could be the fuse and it's inline, red wire off the alternator going right to the starter.

Start at the alternator and follow the red wire to the starter, this should be in there I am not sure if this is a blade fuse or a old style wire fusible link, but if it's the old style is should be burned if it's the problem.

Please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

I know it will take a bit but I will be here for a couple hour.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I used a test light and had power before the fuse and after it. So the fuse is good. The stabilization light is on from this event, and the starter is not activating. Can you find the 80 amp mega fuse? It is not in the fuse boxes, no connection for it.

Sorry, I got nothing, nothing showing an 80 amp megafuse in the system.

Just the main fusibles in the fuse box. I am going to open this back up for the other experts.

Perhaps someone has better wiring diagrams then I do and will be able to help you.

Please don't reply or it will lock it back to me. Sorry I wasn't able to help, but there's quite a few of us on here so maybe someone has come across this.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician