Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a land rover LR2 and the steering wheel is locked and

Customer Question
the car wont start JA: Have...
I have a land rover LR2 and the steering wheel is locked and the car wont start
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: Yes, the light comes up saying that the steering column is locked
JA: What year is your LR2?
Customer: 2007
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: LAnd Rover LR2 2007
JA: Are you fixing your LR2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have done nothing other than try to turn the wheel and get the gear stick out of Park I would love to fix it myself or if anyone is close that can come and help that would be great to.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope thats it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
11/2/2016
Auto Mechanic: Angel Martinez,
 replied 1 year ago
Angel Martinez

Hello my name is Angel,

Sounds to me like the key is not registering with the vehicles security system, the system locked the steering wheel because it detected that the ignition was trying to be accessed without the registered key. first thing you can try is replace the battery in the key, it should have buttons on it for unlock and lock. you can look up a video that shows how to change the KEYFOB (KEY Finger Operated Button) battery. and they cost like 15 bucks at your local auto parts store.

Auto Mechanic: Angel Martinez,
 replied 1 year ago

did that information help you? please rate my service. Thanks

Angel Martinez
Angel Martinez
Angel Martinez