Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 1997 honda civic ..i had it for about a year, and i

Customer Question

hi. i have a 1997 honda civic ..i had it for about a year, and i never had a problem with it..and yesterday on my way home from work, it starts misfiring but it wasnt to bad until i got to my house it just died out. and i try start it again, thats when it ot real bad. it was misfiring real bad that i had to keep my foot on the gas pedal to keep it running and there was smoke comin out from my exhaust and a smell of gasoline. so i let it run for couple minutes and the smoke just stopped and it was running good again. a friend told me it could be the fuel pressure regulator so i changed and it still the same. can somebody help me out.?
Category: Car
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better.I'm not going to tell you there is a magical fix for this.as you stated it's running fine now? the gas smell is because of the misfire. Can you put a scanner or code reader on it to see if there is any current pending or history codes stored in the ECU? this may help tell us what happened.also it could have bin something in the fuel. or carbon build up passing through. It wouldn't hurt to run some good fuel and injector and combustion cleaner through it.Has it bin tuned up lately? I will send you a link to give you some idea what additive you may want to use. Hope this gives you some direction what to do and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so. http://mycarneedsthis.com/best-rated-fuel-injector-cleaners/

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I had it tuned up today. New spark plugs, spark plug wires and fuel injectors

Thanx for that input. so now as I suggested have it scanned for any codes and run that stuff through your engine. If no codes show up then suspect the later. It's running fine now right do the preliminaries and see what we find ok. I will be here if needed.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Will do. Thank you

Cheers ***** *****'t forget to rate my answer thank you.