Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

Transmission fluid leaking out of the top transmission vent

Transmission fluid leaking out of the top transmission vent tube. 2002 Volvo V 70 cross country XC with a 2.4 L turbo engine all wheel drive. Transmission fluid looks like it needs to be serviced but is full on the dipstick while in park. Please advise

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

fluid out of the vent means the trans is either over heating or overfilled. did this happen out of nowhere or after a repair?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hey Lou. There has been no repair performed recently. I checked the fluid and its old and smelly, just looks like its time to service it. The level was good. I drained and filled it with volvo fluid. About 5 quarts came out, so hopefully this will resolve the issue. I guess if the fluid is broken down and low viscosity, then the trans could be running hot right....

its not likely that it would over heat if the fluid was broken down, its possible that you have another underlying issue, sometimes in rare cases the radiator would fail and leak coolant into the transmission. but then you would have excess fluid, 5 qts is not a lot for a trans. minus whats in the torque converter, are you sure its trans fluid coming out of the vent and not something else leaking on top the vent?