Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Automotive Technician with a Bachelors Degree in Automotive Technology
78075103

I heard a loud snap and now the 4x4 won't engage and the abs

I heard a loud snap and now the 4x4 won't engage and the abs and traction control lamps are lit.

Hello and sorry to hear about the 4x4 system. Often times the cause of the issue is relatively minor.

Bear with me while I check my data base for common issues related to the 4x4 system.

Can you let me know the engine size and how many miles are on the vehicle.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
5.6 litre with about 137,000 miles. US vehicle

Thank you, ***** ***** been able to have the codes pulled by an autoparts store or shop. Do you notice any noises while driving now?

Any grinding noises while driving?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No noises. I haven't checked the codes. I went on some forums and it sounded like the clips snaped and the front diff is toast and the actuator's busted. Doom and gloom! But I don't know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I really haven't heard grinding. I have been guilty of driving on dry road in 4 x 4.

I wonder if there is a broken Constant Velocity shaft that is broken.

These 4x4 systems are some of the best on the market and I hardly see any issues with these.

My recommendations would be to pull the codes and do a visual check underneath the vehicle to see if anything is visually wrong.

You can send me pictures of the underneath the truck and or give me the codes and I can help nail this down further.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll check the codes and get back yo you.

Thank you, ***** ***** forward to helping.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not done yet. I just have to get hold of the computer. We'll talk again soon.

k, sounds good.