Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

87 s10 pick up 2.5 engine. Cannot get it started. Can pour

87 s10 pick up 2.5 engine. Cannot get it started. Can pour fresh gas into the carburetor and work the peddle, once I can get it running it will smooth out and run fine. Turn it off and it will not start back up. Has new fuel pump and filter, new distributor top to bottom, new coil,plugs and wires. New egr valve, new full injector. All sensors check good, map, throttle position sensor, crank shaft sensor and ideal control valve. Also has new oil pressur switch, good fuel pressure, good spark, and good compression. Just seems like it's not getting enough gas to get started. What else can I try?

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you.May I ask some questions to get a better picture of what I'm dealing with/ Has this got a carburetor or injectors, or throttle body injected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Throttle body with one injector. Also there is no check engine light on.

So in reading your notes you stated that if you put fuel manually into the throttle body itself it starts and runs ok itself, that the issue is the initial starting it has to have help with? Is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes I can keep it running after putting gas into the throttle body and sometimes it will stall out. But yes it won't start on it's own.

Thanx for that info, then I suspect the ecu temp sensor may not be not working properly. this looks like a temp sensor usually near the thermostat housing , try it disconnected and bridge it with a jumper wire, also check for voltage thereat connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok got voltage on the connector, 4vdc. Jumped connector. Still won't start.

ok thanx for that info, give me a bit to check over the system and get back tomorrow if that's ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update. Put the old fuel injector back in. Had to keep tapping on it to get it opened enough to get a good stream of fuel going then sprayed a little starter fluid in the air intake and it started running. Smooothed out after it warmed up. Started right back up after I shut it off. Put the new injector back in and it won't start. Getting very little fuel out of it. I'm thinking it's bad out of the box or it's not the correct one. Can you verify the proper series I need for this truck. This is a "P" series. Think I may need a "T" series.

Good work and I don't have much faith in any aftermarket electrical parts they tend to get you going in the wrong direction such as this.Please do your self a favor and get OME injector they will have the right number for your vehicle as well giving them your truck's vin number and production date.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ordered an OEM injector using my vin. number. Checked the number on this new one and it seems to be for a different year and engine size. Go figure.

Yea I wonder what parts people smoke in that back room when they get lost looking for parts. Any way I think your on the right track with all that info you shared with me. Good luck and keep us informed.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Installed correct fuel injector. Truck fired right up and running fine.

cheers ***** ***** guess next time check to see if the parts person has glassy eyes ,LOL good luck.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Well Peter, truck is back to doing the same thing. Won't start now. Ran good for a few days then started acting like it was bogging down going up hill. Today would not start. Shot some starter fluid in the air intake and got it running. When I jumped on the gas it wanted to die. Would sit there and ideal good. Give it a little quick pumps on the gas and it boggled. Turned it off and tried again and no start. Will only run till the starter fluid or gas in the throttle body runs out. This is a real head scratcher. Everything I have changed out makes it work for a few days, then back to square one. Help!

mmm still sounds like a fuel problem of some sort, lets check the fuel itself, you may have some water or contentment in it.can you run some into a clean glass bottle and let it sit over night and see if there is any sediment or cloudiness settling to the bottom.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I drained the tank and put fresh gas in it about two weeks ago. I'm getting a noid light to check the injector pulse. With the key on I've got 12 volts to it on the red wire. When I probe the blue wire I get 12 volts through the injector , it clicks and spits a little gas into the throttle body. Don't if that means anything.

Aw yes, check that wire to the ECU and or replace the ECU by probing it you made it work because you bypassed the ECU'S ground circuit and made it work.perhaps you can find a good

used one

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sounds like we're starting to get somewhere now. How should I check that circuit for good ground?