sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

My car wont start. I checked and charges the battery. I was

Hi my car wont start.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I checked and charges the battery. I was having a no crank no start issue but then I found my ECM fuse was blown so I replaced that and now I'm just having a "crank no start"issue.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2007 ford focus Se 2.0L
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. I replaced the spark plugs and coil-boot adapters. I did a fuel pressure test just before the rail and got 42psi while cranking. I did a compression test on all cylinders and received a consistant number which was low I want to say 30 some odd psi while cranking
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ive changed cylinder head temp. Sensor as well as the map sensor. I cleaned the Maf and deleted the existing codes but I was pulling a P0193 OBD-II Trouble Code: Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input

Hi Im David, if you did a compression test and all the cylinders read 30 you got major issues

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even at a no start reading?
Well where do I go from here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey I have to keep this to text here

if you did a compression test correctly. throttle full open, cycle engine 5-6 times and you have 30 psi you either need a new engine or new cylinder head. try it again.

the site offers the phone call automatically, that wasnt me. sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries David.
Yeah I did it throttle closed entirely. So I will try that again tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are my expected values

all the cylinders should be above 150 and they should all read within 10% of each other.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Now the car started up fine when I parked it. I did done suspension work, replaced the water pump, and valve cover gasket then put it back together to find that it wouldn't start. It won't even start with a shot of starter fluid to the throttle body. So I went back to my plugs which were getting spark. I replaced them because I noticed they smell like gas. Still no start. Now I have to (yes do my compression check!) Make sure my Fuel rail pressure sensor is working before I go replacing it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't found a good diagnostic method of testing the fuel rail pressure sensor and was wondering if you could help

the best way is to hook a scan tool up to the car that can read live data

i would not worry about the sensor until the compression test is done though

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks David. Good night.

good night

hows it going?

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

If compression is that low then you either have internal engine damage or incorrect cam timing. Was it overheated before the water pump was replaced?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Started compression testing with the throttle wide open and the car started to try and start.I swapped out the fuel rail pressure sensor and it cranked over. In replacing the camshaft position sensor now and hope it will run smoothlyI wasnt able to complete the conpression test because the car began turning over.
If I want to complete the conpression test now should I dissconnect the fuel or spark plugs while testing?

You can just disconnect the coils or injectors. You need to have all spark plugs out for testing anyway.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience