Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a Lotus Esprit s2 2.2, yesterday I filled it up with

Customer Question
Hello, I have a Lotus...
Hello, I have a Lotus Esprit s2 2.2 , yesterday I filled it up with fuel, as I started it aloud rubbing, hissing sound came from the motor and it stopped running, I believe the starter is bad be cause it wouldn't click at all, I tapped it with a hammer and got a couple of clicks out of it, but what could the sound have come from and all of a sudden the car stops running?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It just started right after I put the fuel in, it made me think the weight of the fuel had something to do with it, it sounded like it was where the alternater is?
JA: What year is your Esprit?
Customer: 1980
JA: Are you fixing your Esprit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was going to replace the starter to begin with
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that should do it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
10/10/2016
Auto Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Mick,

I would check to see if you can turn the engine by hand with a bar, before replacing the starter motor.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gary, how do I do that?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do I need to do to talk by phone?

Hi Mick,

Phone call is only for US techs.

I would assume it is a manual transmission in one of these.

If you put the transmission in 4th gear, and handbrake off, you should be able to push the car a bit at a time, which will turn the engine over.

Or you need a breaker bar and a socket to access the crankshaft bolt to turn the engine.

Maybe the drive belt has failed and wrapped up in all the pulleys?

Gary

Hello Mick,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Hello again Mick,

Do you need any further help?

Kind regards

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician