Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

PULLED UP CODES P1350 AND P0300 I CHANGED OUT THE VVT DRIVER

Customer Question

HI PULLED UP CODES P1350 AND P0300 I CHANGED OUT THE VVT DRIVER SIDE AS IT WAS CALLING FOR BANK 2. AND NOW CAR RUNS FINE BUT WHEN AT IDLE IT RUNS LOWER THEN 500 RPM AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASHES WITH SAME CODES
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: IT BLINKS
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: OH MY BAD LOL 2004 ISUZU RODEO S 3.5L 4X2
JA: Are you fixing your Rodeo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES AT FIRST IT GAVE ME P1350 AND MISFIRE P0301, P0306. CHANGED OUT PLUGS AND SWITCHED COILS. STILL GAVE ME SAME CODES. CHANGED OUT VVT ON DRIVER SIDE AND I FIGURED THE COILS WERE OK AND CHANGED OUT THE INJECTORS. TEST DROVE . STILL LACK OF POWER AND CAME BACK WITH CODES P1350 P0302.P0304. CHANGED INJECTORS FOR 2,4. AND NOW CARS RUNS GOOD BUT ROUGH IDLE AND STILL GET CODE P1350 AND P0300 NOW
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: HOW MUCH IS THIS
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be due to an internal electrical fault in the ECM itself.If the engine is running well but these codes are coming up first try cleaning the throttle body free from carbon and see if this resolves the rough idle and code issues here.If it does not then the diagnostic procedure will need followed for code P1350 to pinpoint if this is the ecm at fault needing replaced.If you would like this test chart let me know and I can post it here.It is the best way to locate and repair this issue.Once P1350 is corrected the misfire codes should go away as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
HI PETE THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I HAVE TRIED CLEANING THE THROTTLE BODY ALREADY AND THE IDLE IS STILL LOW CAN YOU SEND ME THE TEST CHART YOU SPEAK PLEASE. THANKS
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

No problem.Below is the test chart for this code.Follow it with the appropriate tools and it will lead to the cause here.Unfortunately if you do not have all the tools needed in the chart this will need tested by someone that does have the tools needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7744dunyu4l9bw/v-10-06.gif?dl=0

Circuit Description
VVT (Variable Valve Timing) System controls the cam pulley phase to adjust the valve timing to the optimize timing.

The engine oil pressure controls VVT pulley.

OCV (Oil Control Valve) is located on front of the cylinder head and changes the pulley phase by changing the engine oil passage.

ECM controls OCV solenoid by PWM signal to adjust the phase to the target.

This code detects that a difference of target angle and actual angle larger than a threshold.

IMPORTANT: If DTC store caused by OCV sticks by the contamination, the self recovery works in the middle of the normal driving cycle. This is executed to take out the contamination from OCV. This may resolve the OCV stuck problem.

Conditions for Setting The DTC
- Deviation angle:-10-10 deg
- Test enable: wait time 2 seconds
- ECT is below 60 °C
- Ignition voltage is below 10.96 V
- Engine running
- BARO is below 72 kPa
- IAT is below -10 °C
- No DTC's below set:
- BARO sensor (P0106, P0107, P0108)
- IAT sensor (P0112, P0113)
- ECT sensor (P0116, P0117, P0118, P0125)
- Crankshaft angle sensor (P0341, P0342, P0346, P0347)
- Ignition voltage (P0563)
- OCV Solenoid (P1690, P1691, P1692, P1695, P1696, P1697)
- ROM (P0601)
- RAM (P0604)

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
- The ECM will ON the MIL after second trip with detected fault.
- The ECM will store condition which were present when the DTC was set as Freeze Frame and in the Failure Records data.

IMPORTANT: DTC is stored in memory as an historical data entry. If there is no freeze frame data, inspection is required. If no problems are discovered during inspection, clear the DTC data from memory.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbjkne4dahufhq3/va-10-06.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtkwrpe2ut7nhds/var-10-06.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bq4s1gs8j6o7nda/vari-10-06.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I PULLED UP ALL THAT STUFF ON GOOGLE. BUT I DONT NO WHAT ALL THOSE ABBREVIATION ARE. AND HOW DO I CHECK THE ANGLE OF THE VVT
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
HELLO PETE ARE YOU STILL THERE
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

You will need a fully compatible scan tool to monitor data signals to check this here as well as some of the other testing.If you do not have a scan tool that can do this then someone that does have this will have to do this or a shop or dealer unfortunately as this does require some special tools and fully compatible scan tool to check and test this here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete