Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2005 Scion XB intermittently wont start. Replaced battery

Customer Question
today. Have power to all...
2005 Scion XB intermittently wont start. Replaced battery today. Have power to all accessories. Can hear two clicks when attempting to start near relay box. Had the starter checked as well. Not turning over when attempting to start. Could start in 5 minutes. Who knows.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 240,000. Yes, up until this week
JA: Are you fixing your xB yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. We replaced battery. The starter was checked and proven good. THe wiring from the top down to the starter was checked no corrosion. CHecked fuses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
10/3/2016
Auto Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Have you tested the starter relay or the safety neutral switch, (trans position sensor)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both aspect of the starter have been checked.
The stick was positioned in both park and neutral to no avail

So, something is not working right. There is no way to know what it may be without testing the stating system while on the vehicle when the vehicle is not starting.

I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you think about the starter relay being failed?
Auto Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. The clicking noise you hear , do you hear it at the relay in the fuse block or at the starter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 click at relay
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Starter relay when removed of course no noise

Ok asuming the starter switch is communicating to the relay when you turn it to start because you have a click. so this is what we can do to see if the starter is receiving any signal. do you feel comfortable jumping the relay?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure

ok there are four terminals ONE WILL BE HOT ALL THE TIME AND ONE ONLY POWERS UP WHEN TURNING THE SWITCH TO START . ONE WILL BE A GROUND AND ONE GOES TO THE STARTER. YOU WANT TO JUMP THE ONE THAT'S HOT ALL THE TIME TO THE STARTER ONE NOT THE GROUND. IF IT STARTS REPLACE THE RELAY.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just torched the 30 amp fuse for starter. Which pole of the 3 do I jump to for bypass of relay.
From the front pole closest is hot, pole left lights when key goes to start position, pole right torched fuse

not being there it's usually the one directly across from the one that's hot all the time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a way to tell?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Peter, it is the pole directly across the plug, also copper terminal. It did bump the starter

Yes and it did turn the starter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am happy to report we just started it

EXCELLENT! so probably the relay was sticking and it needs to be replaced if that's all we did . hope you happy with my help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ecstatic
Thank you Peter
Please let me know if you're ever near Albuquerque and I'll buy you lunch

lol just show me where to go fishing . cheers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You got it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you up yet?

yes up do you need any more help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jumping no longer works
Relay in, no start
Removing starter to reverify solonoid
Right track?

trying to get this? did you put a new relay in or just the same one in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
New and starter and solenoid still check out

ok , there are two wires at the starter on heavy one that should have power all the time and a smaller one that powers up when turning the ignition switch to start , check that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do
It will be a while though
Other errands to run

I'll be her latter too.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The block below starter relay, no longer has a second pole lighting up upon atempt to start.
Both leads to starter light when they are supposed to

you mean the one that should when the switch is turned to start?

perhaps we're chasing things around so I found a link with diagrams for you to follow to check the circuit . I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram as well. http://www.clubxb.com/forums/front-page-articles/43038-quick-starter-circuit-check.html

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you tell me where the neutral position switch is?

yes it's right at the end of the shift cable going into the transmission It's the little black thing with the wires on it.You can get at it from under neath left front or remove a few things from up above to access it from there

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician