Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

My car is MG Model 550 with VIN: LSJW26H3XAS083995. The

Customer Question

My car is MG Model 550 with VIN: LSJW26H3XAS083995.
The timing belt tensioner broke
After replacing it, I noticed the MIL came up, the car is hard starting and the car has low power.After diagnosing, it displayed the following fault codes
(1) P0014 - Powertrain "B" Camshaft position - Timing Over-advanced or System performance (Bank 1)
(2) P0340 - Powertrain Camshft Position Sensor "A" Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)I need assistance on how to fix the problem
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Your codes are setting because the valve timing is incorrect.

Also explains hard starting and low power.

Was the engine still running normally before you pulled it apart?

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it was running normal
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also thought it is the valve timing. How do i correct the timing?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Did you follow any procedures or just guess?

You may have bent valves as well now.

Would be wise to take it to an MG specialist.

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The valves have been confirmed okay by a technician.
The vehicle runs but with low take off power.
I guess they could not get the timing right hence the reason why I am here
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can I please have a directive/guidelines and the timing diagram for my vehicle in order to adjust the timing?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
From the Fault codes I furnish you with (P0014 and P0340) I clearly know its a timing issue after googling the cause and symptoms, I need you to assit with information on how to get the exact timing.My valves are not bent as you suggested, a timing diagram and procedure is what I need
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

Your technician that has verified you have no bent valves should have no trouble verifying the valve timing.

If you haven't got a factory shop manual or at least an instruction that might be with the new belt, then you should have got some info before doing this job.

I have searched and it doesn't appear to be on the internet.

Sorry I can't help further.

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your response.- I came on "just answers" inorder to get a diagram and or guidelines on how to get the right timing.- I never said i changed the timing belt, the tensioner that gives allowance to put the timing belt is what got broken and the timing lost hence, the reason why the technician couldn't get it right and i came here to specifically getbtge timing diagram as mentioned.Its okay, if you cant help further.I appreciate.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I hope you get your car sorted.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dear *****,Good morning, I do not know if I should actually rate your responses or not because I didn't get the answers I am looking for from you. Justanswers are looking out for another technician that may assist me with the answers I need and promised to get back to me in due time.I am not sure if rating you might affect the money I paid for answers or not, Please be patient, I will rate your responses when I receive a feedback from Justanswers.Thank you
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I will opt out and open the question to the other techs if you wish.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The timing belt tensioner broke
(1) P0014 - Powertrain "B" Camshaft position -Timing Over-advanced or System performance (Bank 1)
(2) P0340 - Powertrain Camshft Position Sensor "A" Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)
From googling the fault codes, it clearly shows that the timing setting is not correct.I need assistance on how to fix the problem by specifically getting the timing diagram please.Thank you
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I see nobody else has helped you as yet.

This video may help.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qn8ljQKZxA

Rover and MG share the same engine across a few models.

Gary