Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Disconnected battery for 15 min. as advised, reconnected,

and still get ESP Fault...
Disconnected battery for 15 min. as advised, reconnected, and still get ESP Fault message and when ignition is turned on I get press clutch pedal to start message, except car is automatic and no ignition start and transmission locked in park. This is all a result of changing out the rear tail light and checking all fuses by removing and inserting. Please advise
9/17/2016
john  aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

does the tail light work? does the brake light work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Passenger side tail light and center brake light do not work.

do they work now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No they do not work, and after replacing the tail light and disconnecting battery for 15 minutes as recommended by previous mechanic advise, still get ESP fault message, and message to press clutch pedal to start engine . Car is automatic
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you either have a communication issue or module corruption/failure. I've seen issues like this when a module such as a transmission controller has failed and isn't communicating, reversed polarity or if a module fails during programming.

Did the problem start when the battery was disconnected or was the battery disconnected afterward?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery was never disconnected until after light replacement and after ESP fault issue arose. What I did do prior to problem arising was check all fuses by removing ,checking and re-inserting fuses. That's when ignition and ESP fault showed up.

Do you have a scan tool capable of communication with all modules?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I don't. What do you recommend for this vehicle and what retail outlet sells it.
2010 Audi Q7

An entry level scan tool starts at around $2,000, not something you'd want to buy for one repair.

Have you checked fuses?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All of them, and that seemed to trigger the ESP fault message and ignition engagement message to press clutch to start even though automatic and no response when turning key .

If fuses are good and a battery disconnect didn't change anything then it's going to take some more in depth electrical testing to determine what is going on. The first step is going to be to use a scan tool to see what modules do and don't communicate, and what fault codes are stored in each.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician