Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Ok here we go. I have a 2004 isuzu rodeo with 3.5 v6 direct

Customer Question

Ok here we go. I have a 2004 isuzu rodeo with 3.5 v6 direct inject engine. I got the car not running. I have replaced both cam sensors and crankshaft sensor. Had ecm tested and had to get it replaced. Then had to send new computer to have programmed to immobilizer so we know bith are good. Engine spins fine and i get between 260 and 280 rpm while spinning engine so i am getting signal. But no spark at the plugs. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Are there any codes in the computer?

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Vin 4s2ck58y444304210 and no codes
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for that information. And the ignition coils have power while cranking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have not been able to verify power by myself but i do have a spark tester and no spark
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

You might want to do that before going any further. We need to figure out of this is a power supply problem is something else.. Turn the key on and check for power on the black wire with orange stripe going to each ignition coil.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have power to the coils
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Excellent! Does the engine have injector pulse while cranking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dont have a way to test for that. I dont own that tool pluse the injectors are in a spot that us extreamly hard to get to. Quick question this has a pressure fuel pump at the engine could that stop the voils from firing if it failed
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Thats right, this is a different set up. May not be a way to check for this unless you have a scan tool that can read live data.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can read some live data. I k ow fuel pressure with the key on and cranking is 60 psi
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

If the computer is in fact good, the only thing that can prevent the engine from having spark that I am aware of would be if the engine is out of time. Have you checked the timing marks? What about engine compression?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Compression is good. Plus that wouldnt stop the coils from firing
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Sure it would. If the cam and crank signals are out of sync, the computer will be confused when cranking the engine and it will not have spark.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well i can go check it all out
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good! I have a feeling this is your best bet based on the information you have provided me with.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok after taking the entire front of the engine apart one cam is off by maybe one tooth. It looks like
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Ok, this is good because we may have found something. However, based on my experience, one tooth usually does not cause a no spark condition. But it might be different with this engine being a direct injection set up, it may affect it a bit different compared to a normal engine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We will see when i replace the belt just to be sure
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good! Please keep me updated as I would like to know the results. If this does not do the trick, please let me know right away and I will do some more digging for you as I have a few more resources to check into. Good luck and fingers crossed!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still no real progress. But this has high pressure oil sensors "i think thats what they are" and i jumpered one that was full of oil and it started for about 3 seconds and died then wouldnt start again
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They are on the front lower part of each head.
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

You may be talking about the VVT solenoids. Would you like the procedure to R and R the timing belt?

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have the timing set but i still dont know what those two sensor are or what they do
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Can you tell me the color wires that go to those senses?

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have not had time check.anything else. Will see over the weekend's
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Ok, just a heads up, you can always rate my answer for assisting you with your vehicle and still respond back after you rate at no further cost to you. I will continue to assisting you as needed.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

Let me know!