How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cardoctor71 Your Own Question
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 672
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
Type Your Car Question Here...
Cardoctor71 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 99 to sport and I have to shift it from 1 to 2 to d

Customer Question

I have a 99 monte to sport and I have to shift it from 1 to 2 to d in order to get it to move nothing is wrong with my transmission. I replaced the FCU but that didn't work. Do you know what it can be?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaks at this time
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 99 montero sport 4x4 6 cylinder
JA: Are you fixing your Montero Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I replace led the MAF intake because it was broken but not the sensor. I also replaced the fuel comsumption unit but that didn't fix the issue either.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a 99 montero sport 4x4 6 cylinders
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 10 months ago.

valve body failure is most likely the issue if you can manually shift it but it won't up shift or down shif, t on its own Please Rate my service, if you have additional questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where is the valve body located?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is it the idle control valve? Just trying to figure out what the valve body is so I can buy the part.
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 10 months ago.

The valve body is internal in the transmission and controls automatic shifting, costs about 650.00 and is located inside the transmission pan. It is NOT the idle control valve. Unless you have serviced a transmission before you need to take the vehicle to a tranny shop or dealership.