Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 99 to sport and I have to shift it from 1 to 2 to d

Customer Question
I have a 99 monte...
I have a 99 monte to sport and I have to shift it from 1 to 2 to d in order to get it to move nothing is wrong with my transmission. I replaced the FCU but that didn't work. Do you know what it can be?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaks at this time
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 99 montero sport 4x4 6 cylinder
JA: Are you fixing your Montero Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I replace led the MAF intake because it was broken but not the sensor. I also replaced the fuel comsumption unit but that didn't fix the issue either.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a 99 montero sport 4x4 6 cylinders
9/8/2016
Auto Mechanic: Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician

valve body failure is most likely the issue if you can manually shift it but it won't up shift or down shif, t on its own Please Rate my service, if you have additional questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is the valve body located?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it the idle control valve? Just trying to figure out what the valve body is so I can buy the part.

The valve body is internal in the transmission and controls automatic shifting, costs about 650.00 and is located inside the transmission pan. It is NOT the idle control valve. Unless you have serviced a transmission before you need to take the vehicle to a tranny shop or dealership.

Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician