How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask david craig Your Own Question
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 3565
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
Type Your Car Question Here...
david craig is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a 2003 Range Rover apart for several months

Customer Question

I have had a 2003 Range Rover apart for several months replacing the timing components. I have it pretty much put back together but I have a clamp kind of shaped like a miniature distributor hold down that I can't seem to find a place for. It looks like it would possibly hold a tube in place. It says "TOP" on it and also "ST 37-2". I was wondering if anyone would know where this possibly goes.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.


this coudl be the hold down clip for an AC pipe onto the pump?

if you use the paperclip icon, you cna post an image up of the part?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not seeing a paper clip icon. I am going to go look at the compressor. I thought it had a built in flange on the tube, but hopefully you are right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The AC lines have built on flanges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent a picture of it- did it come through?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what I can gather ST 37-2 is a type of steel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.


Ok I don't recognise that part but its almost certainly a hold down clamp for a fluid pipe of some description

if its not the AC then I'd next check where the automatic transmission oil cooler lines plug into the trans and onto the cooler rad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the transmission cooler- it has the U shaped wire retainers. I figured it is to hold some type of hard line in place. The only hard line I removed was the one for the air pump that goes to both heads and it has welded on hold down clamps. I was hoping that someone that had done several timing chain jobs on this type of engine would recognize it. I guess there is a slim possibility it didn't come from this job but it was in the box with all the other parts from the job.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

OK ill opt out and open this up to others as they may recognise it

good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and thanks for your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't heard from anyone yet.
Expert:  david craig replied 1 year ago.

hi im david. does that hold down the fuel lines at the rail to the regulator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi David- the fuel line has a quick connect at the only place I disconnected it. This is truly a mystery. I have run the engine and everything seems to be working fine. I had the thing apart for months as the owner wasn't in a hurry and I have bee slammed at my shop for months. There is an outside chance it doesn't even belong to this vehicle but it was in the box with all the other parts from the vehicle. I have looked over the area I had apart several times and don't see any tubes that need a hold down! I was hoping there was someone out there that had done a bunch of timing chain jobs on these that would recognize it.
Expert:  david craig replied 1 year ago.

did you have any transmission lines or power steering lines disconnected?

Expert:  david craig replied 1 year ago.

checking in to see how its going