Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 V-6 and the check engine like

Customer Question
blinks or stays on and...
I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 V-6 and the check engine like blinks or stays on and I noticed it doesn't idle too good till it runs a minute or so. Other than that runs good.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: no
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Mechanic to figure that out. Are you fixing your Rodeo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
9/2/2016
Auto Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
john  aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

john  aka eauto
john  aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy