Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2013honda crv a\c will not turn off at highway speed lines

Customer Question
freeze up but works fine...
2013honda crv a\c will not turn off at highway speed lines freeze up but works fine when Stopped
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
8/21/2016
Auto Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Really, the only thing that should be in your car’s AC system is refrigerant and oil. To keep these things inside and others — such as air, moisture and dirt — out, the pipes, hoses and seals are specially designed to maintain a tight seal. The problem of car AC lines freezing up is caused by moisture that has been introduced into the system. At the expansion valve or fixed orifice tube, depending on the system, liquid refrigerant instantly expands into a gas, forcing the temperature to drop. Moisture in the system can freeze at that point, blocking refrigerant flow through the valve, and you’ll notice you have warm air coming out of the vents. As the valve warms up again, the ice melts and refrigerant flows, so you’ll get cool air again, but the cycle will continue.

Generally, the only way that moisture can get into the AC is if the system is opened up or if you have a leak. If there is a leak, air and moisture can be pulled in by vacuum on the low side of the system. Also, any time that the AC system is opened, moisture can get in. For example, if you use a bottle of r134a to fill it up, a little moisture can get in when you open the valve cap and install the can. Similarly, if an accident breaks the system, such as the condenser or one of the lines, the open system can freely absorb water from the air. Normally, the receiver-dryer absorbs some of this moisture, but it only has so much capacity before it is saturated, leaving the rest to float about in the refrigerant stream.

Recover the refrigerant from the system and make any necessary repairs to parts such as O-rings, hoses, lines or evaporators. If the system has been opened for more than a few hours from an accident, damage or corrosion, the receiver-dryer absolutely must be replaced. It can become saturated when left exposed to the air. Alternatively, if the system has only been open a few minutes, during recovery and evacuation for engine repair, for example, you probably won’t have to replace it. Evacuate the AC system for about 30 minutes to boil off any moisture in the lines. Finally, recharge the system with the proper quantities of refrigerant, oil and a little ultraviolet dye for future leak detection.

You could have a problem with the expansion valve causing the lines to freeze. Your receiver drier could also need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It freezes up because it will not cycle off and you can not turn it off with the a\c switch. I replaced the dryer, relay,evap temp sensor iam a 36 year ase tech did not need basic solution not satisfied with your answer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This Honda only has 24000 miles on it

Should still be under warranty depending on the start date.

I will opt out and another expert will help shortly. No need to reply to this as it will lock the question back to me and others will not be able to view it.

Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician